If you have moved to Rock Hampton recently you would be in search of a good GP. You would need to ask for recommendations from neighbours, friends and co-workers, but in the end the final decision has to be yours. Maybe you have an insurance plan which restricts you to a number of physicians on the company’s panel. You need to ensure that your insurance covers the physician’s visits.
You also need to ensure the kind of physician you are looking for. Most insurance plans allow people to choose a general physician who might refer them to a specialist when and if the need arises. Normally all physicians in Rockhampton are board certified. A GP is board certified in family medicine or internal medicine.
Ay additional concerns that you have can help determine the kind of GP you are looking for. When choosing a GP in Rockhampton, make sure to keep the following things in mind.
- Get to know the place where the GP’s practice is located. Is it easy for you to access? Is it a long commute? In case of an emergency would you be able to make it to the place in tie? The location is important because you need someone who is nearer to your place. If you have young children, your visits to the GP would be more frequent. That’s why it’s advisable to choose the right location, somewhere which is nearer to your home.
- The hospitals where the doctor practices. Some general physicians in Rockhampton have a private practice and they do not belong to any panel or a hospital. Get to know how the physician works and whether you are comfortable visiting them at a particular hospital or at their private practice.
- Here do the doctor perform routine X-rays or lab reports generated. Do they have a facility in their clinic or you might have to visit a lab outside. These things do matter. Having a GP who has the facility of an in house laboratory can help save time and energy. You wouldn’t have to venture too far from the physician’s office for routine tests.
- How do you secure an appointment? Is it a walk in clinic or would you need to make prior appointments. Also get to know if they del with emergency cases or would they rather have you visit a hospital in case of minor emergencies as well.
- Get to know how the staff behaves with patients. Are they friendly and courteous? You could do with visiting the physician’s office once to get a fair idea about how thing work. You need to check the place for an open and kind staff who can help assist you when the need arises.
- How they answer your calls. If you have some questions which you want to put across to the physician. Are your calls returned promptly? Friends and coworkers can help you in this. They would let you know how they prefer and why certain physicians.